If you are in the market for a new boat, then you will definitely want to check into boat insurance before you make a final decision. Boat insurance may be mandatory in certain states, and for some states it is considered as an option that is left completely up to the boat owner.
Most people will agree that even if it is not mandatory, it’s best to get insurance for your big-ticket item. How can you tell if boat insurance may be right for you? This article will offer several different tips that you can use to help you in the decision.
- The easiest way to find out if you will need boat insurance is to ask your salesperson at the dealership if you need insurance when you first purchase the boat. Since they deal with new boat owners and insurance all the time, they will have a good idea about whether or not you will need coverage, and will be able to give you a good idea on how much it may cost as well.
- Look in your local yellow pages for different insurance companies and ask them to provide you with a quote. You will also want to ask the insurance agent if insurance is optional or mandatory at that time.
- When making the decision about boat insurance, it is always a good idea to start out with the company that already insures your cars or home because they will more than likely be willing to offer you a discount if you decide to get boat insurance with them as well. Because they will be bundling all of your insurance needs into one package, they are able to offer you the boat insurance at a discounted rate.
- Another place that will be able to provide you with some other options is your local state office. Many times the individual laws of the state will determine the insurance requirements to operate a boat within the state. You may also be able to find this information on a Web site for the state in question.
- One last place that will be able to provide you with valuable information will be your local licensing bureau. They will normally have a wealth of information concerning the laws for your particular state, as well as information concerning some places where you can inquire about boat insurance.
These are just a few ideas of different places that you can contact in an attempt to find out whether or not you need boat insurance in your state. If you use these tips, you will be well on your way to gathering the necessary information that will help you make an informed decision on the matter.